How To Travel Like a Pro With a Carry On Bag

How to travel like a pro with a carry on bag

There is nothing that I like more than traveling, getting the chance to explore new places, trying new food and even experiencing a different weather is just indescribable. The excitement is real, but there is one thing that I might not enjoy as much, and that is packing.

Packing can be a complete nightmare, why? Well, I find that it is something that most people like to leave as a last-minute duty, and doing that can, and most likely will, increase your stress levels. There’s a million things to take care of during a trip, and on top of that we still have to worry about what clothes to pack and try to fit most of your wardobe in a teeny tiny bag (if you don’t want to pay for full size luggage during flights), well maybe not all of your belongings but if you’re going away for a week that’s 7 outfits plus pj’s, toilettries, flat or curling iron (some people even decide to pack both).

If you are someone that tends to struggle and stress out when it comes to packing… this is for you.

First of all, it doesn’t matter if you’re hopping on a plane and traveling overseas or if you are just going away for the weekend in a little roadtrip, these tips will totally make your trip a lot more enjoyable.

1. First Things First

It is very important that you know the exact date and time that you are leaving, how many days you will be gone and how the weather will be like in your destination. This is super helpful because it will allow you to know how much time left you still have to pack, what kind of clothes you will have to bring along and if there is something that you need to buy for your journey, for example, say you’re going to the beach but you don’t have a swimsuit, so you will have time to get one that fits you nicely and not “the only hidious bikini they had in the souvenir shop at the hotel”.

2.  Consider The Perks

Why would you travel with a carry on bag only? For starters, some airlines can charge you a lot of money for each bag that you check in during a flight, on the other hand, carry ons are free, plus since you have to take them with you during the entire flight (on the special compartments, of course), you will not loose them! How many times have you heard  about airlines loosing people’s luggage or valuable items being stolen (maybe it has even happened to you) and don’t even get me started on the weight of those huge bags, it is so simple to just get a carry on with wheels and stroll it throughout the airport, it is very easy and you will not get tired. Taking a carry on avoids all of these problems 🙂

3. Get The Perfect Carry On

While purses are super cute and stylish, they can get pretty heavy since you put all that weight on only one arm. I highly recommend you to get a carry on that has wheels (probably you already own one) or a backback.

4. Pick Your Clothes

Now it’s time to pick your outfits and since you know how the weather will be like, you already know what kind of clothes to take with you. Because you’re taking a small bag you need to make sure that you can mix your outfits in order to re-use them. For example, you don’t need to take a different pair of shoes for every single outfit of the week, instead, try picking only a pair or two that will fit nicely with the rest of your clothes (depending on how many days your trip will last). Same deal with the actual clothes, try taking a lot of basics and easy to style pieces, so you can change up your look every day.

How to travel like a pro with a carry on bag

5. Roll Them Up

Turns out there is a way to “fold” your clothes that will take a lot less space in your carry on (or in any bag, for that matter) it is super easy and it works like a charm. Just lay your clothes flat, fold them in half and then roll them up. Repeat this method with every single one of your clothing items.

How to travel like a pro with a carry on bag How to travel like a pro with a carry on bag How to travel like a pro with a carry on bag How to travel like a pro with a carry on bag How to travel like a pro with a carry on bag

6. Arrange Everything Neatly

Now that eveything is rolled up, you just have to place it in the bag. You will notice that by rolling up your clothes, you will have a lot more space than if you folded them the traditional way.

How to travel like a pro with a carry on bag

How to travel like a pro with a carry on bag

Extra tips

Use a shower cap to cover your shoes, so they don’t get your clothes dirty.

Take all your toilettries in “travel size”and in a different bag, it won’t only save space, but it will also get you through security really fast. If you don’t have the travel size, you can always put your shampoo in a small container.

Put plastic on the caps of all your liquids to avoid them from spilling.

Try all your outfit combinations before packing them, so you’re sure they look great.

Pack at least a day before your trip.

Take a little purse with you with things that you will need during your trip, for example: Earphones, gum, lip balm.

Follow me on Intagram @IndieSunsblog, I’m obsessed with it and I update every day

instagram feed

Let’s be friends!

Bloglovin’ | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter

Share:

36 Comments

1. June 6, 2016 / 10:57 am

Love these advises. So simple and easy to use in real life!
    Thank you, dear.

-xx, Sia

• June 6, 2016 / 2:59 pm

Thanks Sia! I’m happy you liked it! xx

• June 6, 2016 / 8:46 pm

Glad you like it Emma! Thank you for reading! xx

2. June 6, 2016 / 9:51 pm

I didn’t know this trick before! I used to travel a lot too but didn’t realized I’m doing the wrong thing in packing my clothes! I could have saved a lot of space and bring more clothes with me! 🙁

xoxo,
    SHAIRA // BORACAY Travel Diary

• June 8, 2016 / 12:03 pm

Now you know! I promise your trips will never be the same after you try this! xx

3. June 7, 2016 / 3:28 am

This is an amazing post! I recently started rolling clothes too and it is so convenient! Also, I like putting less makeup products to when traveling. And travel size is the way to go! 🙂

-Leta | The Nerdy Me

• June 8, 2016 / 12:02 pm

Definitely! When I travel I just take mascara and lipstick, I only take eye shadows when I know I will have to dress up! Thanks for stopping by Leta! xx

4. June 7, 2016 / 6:20 am

Rolling my clothes up has become my favourite way to pack clothes; it saves space and keeps the wrinkles at bay. What a great guide, Ana!

MAY | http://WWW.THEMAYDEN.COM

• June 8, 2016 / 12:01 pm

At first I thought that it would leave so much wrinkles on the clothes, but it keeps everything neat! Thank you so much for reading May! xx

5. June 7, 2016 / 6:50 am

I so agree with you on the whole ‘roll your clothes’ thing, that saves so much space! I always pack a spare pair of clothes for my carry on incase they lose my luggage, but I try to pack at least a couple of days before I leave just so that I don’t forget anything. Writing packing lists really helps me out as well!

• June 10, 2016 / 10:47 am

That’s such a great tip! I will do a list next time I pack! xx

• June 10, 2016 / 10:48 am

Thank you for reading! xx

• June 8, 2016 / 12:00 pm

I know! Thanks for reading xx

6. June 7, 2016 / 11:54 am

Wow! Love this so much, to be honest I truly became a pro traveling with a carry on bag since I traveled frequently for 7 months in Canada and Europe. Getting the perfect carry on and rolling up the clothes is extremely important and I consider them the best tips you could’ve mentioned! Love your blog!!

Brooks | http://www.livelaughloveandmakeup.com/

• June 8, 2016 / 12:00 pm

Coming from a traveling expert like you, it means a lot! I don’t travel as much but I find that these tips can really be life savers and I just had to share! Thank you so much for reading girl! xx

7. June 8, 2016 / 8:32 am

This is brilliant! I feel like I’m such a little pro at it. I pack 3 day trips into a small backpack, no other luggage needed. It’s so easy not having to check & wait for bags!!

Katie // Words By Katie

• June 8, 2016 / 11:59 am

Wow, you’re really good at this! I could totally use more tips! xx

• June 8, 2016 / 11:58 am

You’re the cutest Ayanna! I’m so happy you love it because I also love yours! xx

8. June 8, 2016 / 10:45 am

These are really good tips and your post comes in very handy as I’m guilty of overpacking – I have never even tried to travel with only a carry on. Oh and I have to admit that I’m one of these people who take a flat and a curling iron haha, I really need to learn how to curl my hair with my straightener so that I won’t have to take both. I have never tried to roll my clothes but I’ll definitely try this next time I travel. xx

113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

• June 8, 2016 / 11:57 am

Thanks for reading Mira! I’m glad you liked the post, definitely try to roll your clothes, it will save you so much space! xx

• June 9, 2016 / 4:56 pm

Puerto Vallarta, would love to go to Puerto Rico tho. Thank you so much for reading Jessi! xx

• June 9, 2016 / 4:55 pm

That’s true! Happy you enjoyed the post Jodi! xx

9. fionna
    June 8, 2016 / 6:27 pm

i’ve never tried rolling my clothes but my friends have suggested that to me a lot of times before. i might try that the next time i go on a trip. i’m also in love with celeb looks when they’re at the airport. so chic hehe but super informative posttt x

• June 9, 2016 / 4:53 pm

Yes! Totally try them girl! You’ll see how much space this technique will save you! Me too! They always look so effortless and chic! xx

10. Mili
    June 9, 2016 / 9:45 am

It’s so crazy how rolling your clothes can save so much space! Thanks for all your carry on bag packing trips 😀

Mili | Sharmtoaster

• June 9, 2016 / 4:52 pm

Glad you learned something new! xx

11. Gabrielle
    June 10, 2016 / 10:08 am

I’m with you on disliking the process of packing haha, it can be such a nightmare! You’ve listed some great tips here, particularly about picking the right/best carry-on case – some can make life so much easier 🙂 I’ll bear your packing tips of rolling clothes in mind for future use as well!

aglassofice.com
    x

• June 10, 2016 / 10:49 am

Definitely keep them in mind and try it next time you travel! Thank you so much for reading! xx

12. June 11, 2016 / 3:14 pm

Yessss this post is so me! I hate carrying around giant suitcases full of things I won’t even wear anyway hehe. I just pack basic make-up & toiletries, enough underwear and a few spare outfits but nothing too crazy 😀 This post was super useful though, thank you for sharing my lovely! And I love travelling as well, love the feeling of packing & going off to the airport or train station – for me packing is part of the holiday actually, it’s only the unpacking I really hate haha 😀
    XO IMKE | Pastellics

• June 11, 2016 / 3:49 pm

Thank you so much Imke! I’m so happy that you like it girl, your opinion means a lot to me! I also hate unpacking, it’s the only thing that I might not like so much about traveling haha. xx